Time Mag: Who’s Participating in 2.0?

4/25/07 Time Magazine article points out contributors to participatory media are in an extreme minority. Distilled: “Far less than 1% of visits to most sites that thrive on user-created materials are attributable as participatory, the remaining 99% are passive visits…Only the social encyclopedia Wikipedia shows a significant amount of participation, with 4.56% of visits to the site resulting in content editing. “

Couple of other factoids:

  •  YouTube splits viewers evenly across genders, but 76% of uploaders are male
  • Although viewership is nearly equal across genders, 60% of Wikipedia posters are male.
  • 45% of Wikipedia audience is under 35, 82% of editors are 35+ years old

Quote from Bukowski:

“as God said,
crossing his legs,
I see where I have made plenty of poets
but not so very much
poetry.”

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s