Apps/Mobile: Perhaps in honor of Drew Ianni’s successfully launching the AppNation Conference/Empire September 13-14 in San Francisco, it seems like most of the round-up is flavored with Mobile/Apps news, even in those that relate to Acquisitions, Apple and Facebook. Here are some App-related news inspired by the event:
- Best quote from AppNation: “We expect AR to be like Minority Report, but it’s more like Pong.”
- According to Nielsen the vast majority of phone owners are willing to pay for apps. Read more in SF Chronicle
- app downloads–only one health-indicator and aspect of the apps economy which includes advertising, services, infrastructure and more–represent $4.1b in 2009 and will grow to $17.5b by 2012; 7b downloads today growing to 50b by 2012 according to research commissioned by #2 appstore, GetJar.
- The Rise of Apps Culture – interesting Nielsen research piece, check out the SlideShare
- Age and location likeliest indicators of how you use your phone from Nielsen research
- InputDynamics makes dumbphones smarter with tap-to-touch technology
- Five trends in LBS/LBM/Location-Based Anything
- EBay acquires RedLaser to integrate Barcode scanning into Apps
- Zynga switches to Facebook Credits — this is a big deal and huge step towards a common currency across developers, ecosystems and eventually even devices, if you believe the next story
- Rumors of a new Facebook Phone (like Google’s Nexus) ran rampant over the weekend with some posts of encouragement. Spawning spoof images like the one attached.
- Review of the new Zuck-smear “The Social Network” where author accuses Hollywood of projecting their fears and awe on a fictional version of Zuckerberg.
- How Apple Could Ship 48 Million FaceTime Devices This Calendar Year – hint: use desktops & ipods to speed this potential culture-changer
- The purchasing of Mac’s continues to grow among students, as shown in Chart of the Day: Apple Selling Just As Many Computer As Dell To College Students
- Pretty impressive 9/11 iPhone app examines & makes, history – designed to make those that weren’t there understand what happened, and perhaps feel as though they’d been there
- The Influence of Mobile on Social Marketing’s Future
- New Biz Outreach Not So Social – RSW/US survey finds that agencies do relatively little prospecting for clients on social media
- Too early to think about the holidays? Check out some trends for the new year in The Next Web’s Seven Important Social Media Trends For The Next Year
- Great discussion on Privacy with Dana Boyd